St. Mary’s Church is situated in the hamlet of Nonington from which the old parish took its name.
Nonington Church, an 1807 water-colour. The remains of an old wooden burial marker, used before the advent of cheap stone memorials, can be seen in mid picture. The gable end of the forge is visible to the right.Nonington Church , a drawing by Wm F Saunders, dated 16th Oct 1867.St. Mary’s Church, Nonington circa 1905, the Church Sy forge is on the right of the pictureNonington Church circa 1850. A sketch taken from “The Flower of Spring” by J.P. & C. E. PlumptreThe Church from Church Hill, now part of Vicarage Lane but known locally as Oak Hill after the Royal Oak pub which is at the other end at the junction of Vicarage Lane, Easole Street and Holt StreetThe wooden grave [centre picture just above the gate] marker stood by the church door until the 1950’s. There is a war memorial in the yew tree to the right of the gate.The funeral bier presented to St. Mary’s Church in rememberance of William Oxenden Hammond of St. Alban’s Court In Nonington. The brass paque attached reads:”Dedicated to the endeared memory of W. Oxenden Hammond for the use of St. Mary’s Church in Nonington by Sidney & Beatrice Sargent, October 1903″. The Reverend Sargent was then the vicar of NoningtonThe funeral of Harry Austen, 18th November, 1910. The cortège is coming down Church Lane from the direction of Easole Street, the fields on either side of the road are now built on. There was a pond just the other side of the road junction with Church Street, on the right. The coffin would have most likely been carried on the bier shown in the preceding photographThe oldest head stone in the churchyard dated “January the 9th day 1690″The oldest tombstone in the old graveyard still rests against the sexton’s lodge but is now sadly suffering from erosion by air pollution and weatheringThe west and north sides of the church circa 1910 viewed from by Church Farm yard, which is on the left. The sexton’slodge referred to in the previous slide is just out of view on the left.A 1920’s view of the west end of St. Mary’s Church taken from the Old Court Hill road. The old sexton’s lodge is just to the left of the towerThe John Payn memorial stands just inside the gate of the new burial ground opposite the church1927 list of church feesThe church viewed from the new burial ground around 1914St. Mary’s Church, the south side, 2010. The church has changed little outside, the war memorial is still in the yew tree by the gateSt Mary’s Curch, the east end, viewed from Pinners Lane, 2010. The old White Horse is on the right, the car park in the centre of the picture was the site of the forge, demolished in the late 1950’s