Holt Street in Nonington: a photographic guided tour-updated 22.03.2020
Looking from Nightingale Lane down the valley towards the cricket ground
Upper Holt Street viewed from Nightingale Lane, 1950’s.
1907 Holt Street cross-roads. The funeral cortege of Edwin Knight, the first man killed at Snowdown Colliery. Edwin was a sinker [digger] working on the digging of the No 1 shaft at the nearby Snowdown Colliery where work had then only recently begun. He was drowned by a sudden inrush of water into the shaft. Flooding was a major problem in sinking shafts in the Kent coalfield. Shortly after Edwin Knight’s death another flood at 260 feet killed 22 men. It’s interesting to note that several of the mourners are wearing their distinctive working clothes. Holt Street Cottage, now Old Cooky’s, is to the left of the cortege.
1909 Holt Street cross-roads. The funeral cortege of Harry Mepham, another worker employed at the nearby Snowdown Colliery. . Once again, it’s interesting to note that several of the mourners are wearing their distinctive working clothes. In the background is the old Holt Street Cottage, now Old Cooky’s. On the left is a now long demolished cottage which occupied what is now the garden of the first house in Johnson’s Terrace.
Holt Street cross-roads, 1905-1910. Johnson’s Terrace, now Nightingale Terrace, is to the right, Butter Street to the left..
A 1950’s view of Holt Street from the cross-roads, the old telephone exchange is the first building on the right
Johnson’s Terrace from below the cross-roads. Most of the terrace and the thatched cottage in the field on the left were destroyed in November of 1940 by a German aerial mine probably targeted at the nearby Snowdown Colliery. Several villagers were killed by the explosion
The Holt Street cross-roads area and Holt Street farm, 1975
Upper Holt Street just below the cross-roads. Holt Street farm yard is to the left, the old telephone exchange and the Plymouth Bretheren’s original meeting house are off to the right. Both the telephone exchange and meeting house buildings were replaced by the present buildings.
Ingleside circa 1904. The children are members of the Groombridge family who had recently taken over the tenancy of Holt Street Farm.The tenancy is still held by members of the family. At this time Ingleside was the Holt Street farm house. the larger Holt Street Farm House in Butter Street was the residence of Mr. Henry Weston Plumptre and later officers from the Dover garrisons.
Ingleside in Holt Street circa 1904.To the right was Symond’s Barn, and to the left a cottage which stood between Ingleside and Holt Street row. The cottage was demolished around 1910 when Ingleside was improved and extended. Symond’s Barn, or at least a wooden successor, was not demolished until the 1970’s. Both barn and cottage were mention in a 1670 lease for the Holt Street estate.
An early 1900’s view of the four cottages [now three] in Holt Street Row.
Holt Street near the present garage, 1920’s. The resent garage office building is in mid-picture. At the time the phot was taken the building was in use as a laundry.
The washing mangle in the Holt Street laundry.
The garage area seen from the air, early 1960’s
Two members of the Maxted family in front of the thatched cottage that stood at the bottom of the garage yard and was demolished in the early 1960’s
Holt Street looking towards the cross-roads, 1930’s. The garage is in mid picture on the left by the telegraph pole,
The old sadler’s shop in the garden of 4 Sunny Banks in Holt Street. This building is now sadly obscured by trees.
Sunny Banks Cottages on the west side of Holt Street just down from the present garage.
1960’s aerial view of the Sunny Banks area
Holt Street:the newly built El Nido in 1929. The home for many years of Mr. Chipper, the owner of the Aylesham Cinema and Bingo Club. Now called Badgers.
Holt Street: the old Walnut Tree alehouse, on the left, as it was in 1929. Now a single storey dwelling.
The three houses on the west side of The Drove in lower Holt St., early 1900’s.
Rose Cottage in lower Holt Street. a view from the early 1900’s,
Rose Cottage in the early 1900’s
Rose Cottage looking back towards the Drove
The Old Post Office, in the Drove taken in the 1930’s before the PO moved to the new building in Easole Street as there is a sign on the telegraph pole.
The Holt Street gate lodge to Fredville Park
The Lodge Stores, just before the shop was demolished in the late 1990’s
The Royal Oak corner:1950’s
Holt Street pond, 1910. Taken from a glass plate negative from around 1910 the picture shows the pond across the road from the Royal Oak
A 1920’s view of the pond with the Holt Street lodge at the entrance to Fredville Park in the background