St. Mary’s Church is situated in the hamlet of Nonington from which the old parish took its name.
The Church from Church Hill, now part of Vicarage Lane but known locally as Oak Hill after the Royal Oak pub which is at the other end at the junction of Vicarage Lane, Easole Street and Holt Street
Nonington Church, a sketch made around 1800
Nonington Church, an 1807 water-colour. The remains of an old wooden burial board, used before the advent of cheap stone memorials, can be seen in mid picture. The gable end of the forge is is visible to the right.
Nonington Church circa 1850. A sketch taken from “The Flower of Spring” by J.P. & C. E. Plumptre
A sketch of the church made on 16th October, 1867
The funeral of Harry Austen, 18th November, 1910. The cortège is coming down Church Lane from the direction of Easole Street, the fields on either side of the road are now built on. There was a pond just the other side of the road junction with Church Street, on the right.
The church viewed from the junction with Church Street, to the left of the picture, circa 1905
The church gate on the east side circa 1910. There is a war memorial in the yew tree to the right of the gate.
The west end of the Church viewed from the bottom of Old Court Hill by Farthingales
The oldest head stone
The oldest tombstone in the old graveyard still rests against the sexton’s lodge but is now sadly suffering from erosion by air pollution and weathering
The west and north sides of the church circa 1910 viewed from by Church Farm yard, which is on the left. The sexton’slodge referred to in the previous slide is just out of view on the left.
John Payn memorial
A 1920’s view of the west end of St. Mary’s Church taken from the Old Court Hill road. The old sexton’s lodge is just to the left of the tower
The church viewed from the new burial ground, early 1900’s
St. Mary’s Church, the south side, 2010. The church has changed little outside, the war memorial is still in the yew tree by the gate
St Mary’s Curch, the east end, viewed from Pinners Lane, 2010. The old White Horse is on the right, the car park in the centre of the picture was the site of the forge, demolished in the late 1950’s