Some Monumental Inscriptions of Nonington Church,
Noted by Bax & Rice, Monday, 9th May, 1892.
1. Names in churchyard – Silvester, Maxted (numerous) Atwood, Hambrook, Young, Barville (3), Reader, Sole, Whitewood, Masey, Morgan, Crittenden, Ayers, Nash (2), Bailey, Castle (2), Wanstall, Pepper (3), Sutton (5), Chandler, Ashenden (yeoman 3), Knott, Holtham, Larkins, Pain, Critch, Spain, Steed, Finn, Belsey (4).
2. HS W of church Here lyeth the body of Sarah ye wife of Thomas RYE and daughter of Henry and Susanna Johnson who departed this life the 4th of July 1764 in the 27th year of her age leaving three children viz: Sarah, Johnson, and Thomas.
3. HS North of church Sacred to the memory of William DAVIS 53/4 years clerk of this parish who departed this life April 23rd 1826 aged 90 years. Also of Sarah wife of the above who died January 26 1800 aged 70 years.
4. HS Sacred to the memory of Mary WOOD who departed this life October 30th 1840 aged 52 years.
5. HS In memory of John WOOD who died the 26 January 1779 aged 74 years. Also Sarah Cambril daughter of the above who died the 26 February 1783 aged 22 years. Also Elizabeth wife of the above John Wood who died the 25 July 1790 aged 70 years. Robert Wood son of the above John and Elizabeth Wood who died April 1st 1803 aged 42 years left a wife and 4 children to lament his loss.
6. HS (cherub’s head) In memory of William GODDEN and Susanna his wife. he died the 23 of August 1774 aged 60 years. She died the 4th of June 1774 aged 54 years (sic).
7. HS cherub’s head In memory of Sarah the daughter of William and Sarah GODDEN of Old Street in this parish. She departed this life the 29 of August 1766 aged 7 years and 3 months and 2 days.
8. HS S of church 2 sculls above Here lieth ye body of Richard SUTTON yeoman late of this parish who departed this life ye 17 day of August 1741 in the 71 year of his age.
9. HS South West side of churchyard In memory of Elizabeth the wife of Edward MAXTED who died 27/8 December 1791? aged ..6 years.
10. HS Trumpets, swords, book, urn in centre of tomb In memory of Nathaniel BELSEY late of this parish who departed this life July the 7th 1789 aged 83 years. Also Nathaniel son of the above said Nathaniel Belsey late of the parish of (sunk).
11. HS Sacred to the memory of Mary, relict of Mr. Nathaniel BELSEY formerly of this place who died at Sandwich on the 3 of march 1829 aged 87 years. Also of Thomas Gambril brother of the above who died 16 March 1829 aged 77 years and lies buried in a grave near this spot.
Copied by Mr. R. G. Rice
12. Headstone W of church In memory of William APPLETON who died 23rd October 1861 aged 86 years. Also Ann, his wife who died 5th November 1864 aged 84 years. Prepare to meet thy God.
13. HS to W of church and to W of last Sacred to the memory of Allen HOMERSHAM late of this parish who departed this life December 24th 1837 aged 85 years. Also Martha, wife of the above who died February 3rd 1795 aged 31 years. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.
14. HS to N of church and to W of last Sacred to the memory of Thomas PETLEY many years master of the National School of this parish who died December 2nd 1826 aged 51 years. Also of Ann his wife who died July 9th 1843 aged 68 years. Likewise of Henry Petley grandson of the above who died November 18th 1825 aged 1 month. 15. HS South West of church, has apparently been repainted In memory of Eleanor Mary infant daughter of The Revd. Nathaniel Arthur GARLAND and Mary, his wife died January 24th 1848. Of such is the kingdom of God. Mark X 14.
16. Large HS and body stone SW of church Sacred to the memory of Jacob CHANDLER of this parish who died 16th November 1836 in the 85th year of his age. Also Ann Chandler wife of the said Jacob Chandler who died 27th October 1832 in the 87th year of her age. Also Ann Wood Chandler granddaughter of the above who died 27th September 1825 in the 17th year of her age.
17. HS South of church. Two sculls and hourglass on top Here lieth ye body of Richard SUTTON yeoman late of this parish who departed this life ye 17 day of August 1741 in the 71 year of his age.
18. There are 3 …… Sutton HSS with body stones and a high tomb railed to same: all recently ‘restored’ and painted.
19. High brick tomb North of chancel (on top) all Roman italic? caps. In memory of Elizabeth wife of Samuel MAXTED died the 1st of October 1791 aged 80 years. Also of Samuel Maxted who died the 4th of June 1808 aged 96 years. Edward Maxted son of the above who died the 18th of November 1802 aged 49 years. Elizabeth Maxted daughter of the above who died the 2nd April 1812 aged 91 years? Also Sarah wife of Henry Maxted of this parish who died 29th July 1852 aged 38 years and four children, viz. Mary Elizabeth, Charles John, Charles and Harry.
20. Large HS and body stone to N of last In memory of Thomas MAXTED who died 6 February 1813 aged 66 years. Also Elizabeth, wife of the above who died 22nd December 1803, aged 48 years. Likewise Elizabeth widow of the above named Thomas Maxted who died 11th April 1843 aged 81 years.
21. HS North of church Charles le [chipped away] born at Tewkesbury Gloucestershire 1755 obiit 1823. Mary Street [sic] wife of the above born at Ruddington Nottinghamshire 1751 obiit 1792.
22. HS North of church In memory of Mary wife of John William SILVESTER of Hackney Middlesex and daughter of George and Mary Hambrook of this parish died January 30th 1842 aged 41 years leaving one son John Stephen to lament her loss.
23. Stones to Hambrook family.
24. High stone tomb enclosed with high railing to South of church – no misc on top or E or W ends On the North side: To the memory of William SPRATT late of Eythorn who died the 30th June 1804 aged 67 years. Also Mary, wife of the above who died the 23rd of May 1811 aged 77 years. South side: To the memory of William Belsey SPRATT who died 4th May 1849 aged 70 years. Also Mrs. Elizabeth Spratt who died 27th July 1852 aged 76 years.
25. Large HS to E of Spratt tomb In memory of Mr. Isaac BELSEY late of the City of Canterbury who died March 15th 1782 in the 57th year of his age. He left surviving one son and 3 daughters viz. Vincent, Elizabeth, Judith and Mary. Also of Mary wife of the above Isaac Belsey, who died January 16th 1816 aged 87 years.
26. In chancel. Nonnington church. Blue stone ledger arms as rubbed Here lieth interr’d ye body of William HAMMOND Esq., who departed this life January 17th 1717 in the 54 year of his life.
NB Several other Hammond memorials.